Senior Data Engineer
Are you an experienced Senior Data Engineer with extensive knowledge of Data Warehousing, Data Streaming & Python? Do you pride yourself on being pragmatic and adaptable? Can you picture yourself preaching the “You build it - you run it” mentality to your team? Then we are certain there is an adventure waiting to unfold, just for you!
In the past three years, we have managed to scale up rapidly with our products Rapido.com and Recharge.com which has led to tremendous (often - triple-digit) growth of sales volumes. This faster than light growth rate will continue in the foreseeable future, and that’s why we are in the progress of re-defining our application landscape to make sure that we can cope with this growth in the future. That’s where you come in.
Your contribution to our mission
As a Senior Data Engineer, you’ll be part of our Data Platform team. The services that you will own together with the team, represent our data platform (data warehouse, ETL orchestrator, message bus for streaming). By developing data pipelines and improving the platform you will impact the way of working of your new colleagues in other teams (marketing, commercial & other development teams). Next to that, as a team, you will provide an API that is used for data ingestion and data export by other teams. You will also enable those teams with the necessary API functionality so that they can build the best experience for our customers.
Your tasks will include things like
- building new functionalities based on requirements (and use the opportunity to challenge [and even define] requirements together with the team to accomplish the best solution from both customer value and development effort perspective)
- reviewing, testing, and delivering changes to our production systems, and keeping an eye on the technical impact of those changes to the end-user. You monitor our systems, address arising issues, and improve our monitoring to make sure that we respond to outages as effectively as possible so that our customers are rarely unable to use our product
- improving and preserving the quality of our services when it comes to their performance, stability, security but also the understandability of the code
- contributing with your ideas, knowledge and critical thinking to the quarterly plans in the team.
- the ability to solve difficult business challenges by decomposing them and lead the team by example
- the belief that technology is an instrument to solve business problems, and therefore it doesn’t stand alone as a self-fulfilling prophecy. You would like to be surrounded by people with this pragmatic mindset
- deep knowledge of SQL & data warehouse architecture coupled with demonstrated eagerness to model data
- deep knowledge of the Python stack (Apache Airflow)
- a pragmatic approach to software design. You’re aware of commonly applied design concepts and principles (SOLID, DRY/KISS/YAGNI)
It's nice if you bring something extra to the table such as...
- experience and/or interest of working on the edge of development and operations (DevOps mindset). It’s great if you know your way around CI/CD matters with Gitlab, Docker & AWS in a more general context!
- deep understanding of streaming data architectures and technologies for real-time and low-latency data processing (i.e. Apache Kafka)
- understanding and experience in applying enterprise integration patterns in a distributed software system
- experience with performance optimization of databases and web applications
- advanced knowledge of security fundamentals in the web world
We will offer you...
- 30 days vacation to enjoy
- budget & time for your personal growth plan, conferences, and events
- MacBook Pro (13" or 15") + headset
- good compensation and contribution to the pension scheme
- the chance to refactor your body with our weekly Bootcamps & Yoga
- free Dutch courses together with your colleagues
- free lunch, snacks (vegetarian & vegan options included), Friday drinks
- a multicultural environment with 120 colleagues and over 27 different nationalities and growing